Only the truest of cooking masters can cut an apple without a knife, peel an egg in a single movement and prevent onions from making them cry. They know all the best cooking tips and enjoy sharing them with us. Here are 11 of the most ingenious culinary secrets. Feel free to share them!
1. Yogurt drops
Yogurt drops are delicious and, most importantly, healthy snacks, especially appreciated by children. They are easy to make: put yogurt in a plastic bag, squeeze the drops on parchment paper and put them in the freezer for 1 hour.
2. Cut onions without crying
To avoid crying when cutting onions, put them in the freezer for 15 minutes before you start cutting them.
3. How to easily peel eggs
Boiled eggs will be much easier to peel if you put some lemon in the pot while you cook them. By the way, half a teaspoon of baking soda has the same effect.
4. How to bake without using eggs
If you want to bake scones or other pastries, but you realize you are running out of eggs, you can use bananas instead: 1 egg = 1/2 banana.
5. A perfect coffee
This tip will really be appreciated by all coffee lovers and those who simply can’t wake up in the morning without a cup of freshly prepared espresso. Add a pinch of salt and cinnamon to ground coffee before preparing it. Salt helps eliminate the bitterness of burnt beans, and cinnamon adds an incredible taste to your coffee.
6. How to cut an apple in half without using a knife
If you only have one apple but two people are sharing it, here is a simple way to divide the desired fruit in two:
- Turn the apple;
- Take the apple between your hands and start turning until you find a comfortable finger position;
- Press it with your hands, spreading it apart – it easily separates into 2 equal parts.
7. A quick way to peel garlic
To save time peeling garlic, microwave it for 15 seconds – this will help remove the skin.
8. The most delicious pepper
When you buy a pepper, look underneath. If you see 3 bumps, it is a “male” pepper; 4 means it is a “female”. “Females” are softer, and it’s better to use them fresh. The “males” are stronger and their flavour is deeper, so they are great ingredients for various dishes.
9. Slice of pastry without a knife
You can use (flavour-free) dental floss to quickly cut cakes or rolls into equal parts.
10. Better than fries
If you think there’s nothing better than fries, try cooking this:
- Cut potatoes into slices, sprinkle them with olive oil, put slices of butter between the slices and add salt and pepper to taste;
- Put them in a preheated oven at 220° C for 40 minutes;
- Potatoes cooked this way will probably become your favourite dish.
11. Quick potato peeling
If you don’t like peeling potatoes, this tip is for you:
- Make small cuts in the potatoes;
- Pour hot water into a pot with the potatoes, put the pot on the stovetop and wait for it to boil;
- Pour out the boiling water, and fill the pot with cold water;
- Take one potato at a time, and remove the skin.
Source: Bright Side