The kitchen is usually one of the most used rooms in the house, and it is certainly the room that requires the most effort to stay clean. Since it needs continuous maintenance, cleaning it can sometimes seem to us like a horrible chore. To avoid wasting time as well as energy, and to simplify your life, why not adopt some incredible cleaning tricks? You will have a sparkling clean kitchen in less time, it’s guaranteed!
1. How to Remove Rust from Your Knives
Is not it atrocious when your silverware or your knives have spots of rust on them? Do not throw them away because you can easily get rid of rust with this natural solution: add one part lemon juice to one part hot water, and let your utensils rest in the solution for an hour, before scrubbing them with a cloth. The rust should be gone with this treatment!
2. Clean your oven range hood
You can clean your oven range hood with hot water and some baking soda.
- Add hot water to a bucket.
- Put the range hood filter in the bucket.
- Add some baking soda on the filter and let it soak for 1 hour (do the same for the other side).
- Scrub the filter and rinse it.
3. Never clean your toaster oven again
Simply put a foil on the cooking sheet to prevent it from getting dirty. Every week, simply change the foil and say goodbye to scrubbing!
4. Clean your baking sheets
Simply use a little bit of baking soda and hydrogen peroxide. It works like magic, no need to purchase a new baking sheet.
5. Clean a burnt pan with vinegar, water, and baking soda
- Fill the pan with water and add a cup of white vinegar.
- Bring it to a boil, remove it from the heat and add 2 tablespoons of baking soda.
- Let it sit for a few seconds so the mixture cools down.
- Wash your pan normally.
6. Clean your microwave with only two ingredients
To clean your microwave, put 1 cup of water in a bowl with some baking soda in the microwave until it boils. This will eliminate odors and help clean your appliance.
7. Use aluminum foil as a scrubbing brush
If you can’t find your scrubbing brush or you forgot to buy a new one, you can wash your dishes with aluminum foil. All you have to do is crumple the paper into a ball.
8. Get rid of garbage odors with lemons
Make your garbage smell better by adding some lemon slices in your garbage can. Do this right before you have guests over to be the perfect host.
9. Clean your wood cutting board
Wooden cutting boards are super functional and gorgeous, but cleaning them can be a challenge since you can not put them in the dishwasher like other cutting boards. Clean them easily by using products you may already have in your kitchen, such as baking soda, water, lemon, vinegar, and salt.
10. Clean sticky kitchen dust
You know the dust we’re talking about, the one that’s over your oven but can’t seem to go away! Put some oil on a paper towel and scrub the problematic surface with it. Then, use some dish soap and warm water to wipe off the oil. Works like a charm and will save you plenty of time and energy.
11. Get rid of grease burns in your oven
- In a bowl, mix some baking soda and water.
- Soak your sponge with your mixture and scrub the grease stains.
- Spray the area you are cleaning with vinegar.
- Scrub the remaining stains with your sponge.
12. Clean your melamine cupboards with soapy water
This might seem too simple, but using soapy water to clean your melamine cupboards works very well. It is affordable and gentle so why not try it?
13. Clean and disinfect your kitchen
If you are looking to disinfect and clean your kitchen counters or your sink, here is how to make a homemade disinfectant cleaner spray.
- In a spray bottle, pour 1/3 white vinegar and 2/3 water (don’t fill it up to the top).
- Add 10 drops of lemon, lavender or eucalyptus essential oil.
- Add 1 tablespoon of dishwashing soap or all-purpose cleaner.
- Close your spray bottle and mix the ingredients by shaking the bottle.
- Use the spray with a cleaning cloth.
14. Use tongs to clean your blinds
Using rubber bands, secure a microfiber cloth or a regular cotton cloth to each side of the tongs to effortlessly clean your blinds.
15. Eliminate stinky odors in your sink
Here is how to naturally clean your sink to get rid of stinky odors. You will need:
- 130 ml of fresh lemon juice.
- 80 g of baking soda.
You can also use some vinegar.
- Heat up the lemon juice.
- Add, little by little, the baking soda and let it dissolve in the lemon juice. Your mixture will start to foam.
- Mix it before pouring it in the sink pipes.
- Leave it for 10 minutes. Rinse with hot water.
16. Make your kitchen floors shine
You can eliminate grease stains on your kitchen floor without scrubbing for a whole afternoon. All you need to use are soda crystals and a Marseille soap.
- Wear gloves.
- Add 3 tablespoons of soda crystals in a bucket.
- Add to the bucket a coffee spoon of shavings of Marseille soap.
- Dilute your ingredients with a litre of hot water and mix them well.
- Wash your floors with this mixture and a dishcloth.
- Let dry without rinsing.
17. Use your socks to clean your floors
Don’t pay for Swiffers when you can easily use your socks. When you’re finished, pop them into the washing machine, and there you go.