Sold for the first time in 1946, the microwave is now, 70 years later, one of the most used kitchen appliances of all time. It allows you to quickly heat up leftovers and even cook certain foods like eggs, for example. But did you know that your microwave could do some awesome things that have nothing to do with warming up last night’s fettuccine alfredo, popping up popcorn for a perfect movie night nor cooking up a baked potato the lazy way? It seems that this kitchen essential can make your life easier in other spheres as well.
You will be stunned at all the incredible things you can do with a microwave. Here are the best ways to use a microwave in your everyday life other than cooking and heating up food.
Just remember to be careful and keep metal away from this potentially dangerous appliance. No need to use your home insurance due to a fire that started in your microwave!
15. Fulfill your bacon cravings quickly
If you have no time to cook but you want to make some bacon quickly, here is how to do it:
- Take a plate and a bowl. Turn the bowl upside down on your plate.
- Place as many bacon strips as you want on the top of the bowl.
- Put it in the microwave for about 1 minute per strip (2 minutes for 2 strips).
- Before turning the microwave on, add a paper towel on the bacon so it doesn’t make a mess in your microwave.
- The grease will trickle down the bowl onto the plate.
- Let cool then eat.
That’s it, you can now claim to be a bacon champion.
14. Cut an onion without any tears
When cutting an onion, chemical irritants called syn-propanethial-S-oxide come out and that’s why you cry. Thankfully, your microwave can fix this. All you have to do it cut the ends of your onion and then put your onion in the microwave for 30 seconds. Only cold onions can make you cry.
13. Enjoy some corn on the cob
- Shuck your corn and wrap it in a humid paper towel.
- Put it in the microwave for 3 minutes.
- Take it out of the microwave with some tongs.
- In less than 5 minutes you have a great snack. Season it the way you like and enjoy!
12. Make your own microwavable heating pad
If you suffer from muscle pain and inflammation, it is recommended to use heating pads. If you don’t have your own heating pad at home and don’t want to buy one, it is possible to make your own very easily. Use an old sock and fill it with dried lentils, dried corn or rice. Make a knot and put it in the microwave for 4 minutes. Make sure the sock is not too hot so as not to burn your skin. Place it on the area of your body that is aching until it doesn’t produce any heat anymore.
11. Make (your donuts) great again
Sugar addicts will appreciate this hack. If you have 2-day old donuts, use this trick to make them soft again. Heat them up in the microwave for 10 to 12 seconds. Since you know this, you can buy more donuts at a time and same them for the next days!
10. Extend the life expectancy of your mascara
Unfortunately, mascara dries very rapidly, which creates big clumps when you apply it to your lashes. Avoid having to buy a new one each month and make your mascara last longer. Place your mascara in a glass of water, then put it in the microwave for 20 seconds. This will make it good as new again.
9. Clean a mess in your microwave
Here is how to clean a microwave without any chemical products:
- Take a lemon.
- Cut it in half.
- Fill a bowl with water and add lemon juice.
- Add the squeezed lemon to the bowl.
- Place the bowl in the microwave and heat it up for 5 minutes.
- The water will boil with the lemon and this will help clean your microwave.
8. Disinfect your sponges
You use sponges to clean and disinfect your home, but what cleans your sponges? They are constantly in contact with bacteria and grime that get trapped, which makes it an even more contaminated tool than your toilet bowl. This is why it’s important to clean your sponges. By putting them in the microwave, they will become clean again and you won’t have to throw them in the garbage. Soak them in white vinegar or lemon juice and put them in the microwave for a minute. These acidic ingredients associated with heat will make it easier to kill all the pathogen bacteria hiding in your sponges. Congrats, you’ve graduated from the college of life!
7. Dye some clothes
If you have some old clothes that you like a lot, it is possible to give them a second life with a bit of dye and a microwave. Place your item of clothing in a container with water and the colour of dye of your choice. Cover the container and put it in the microwave for 4 minutes on low. Wait a few minutes then admire your new creation. You now have new clothes, but spent only a few dollars!
6. Sterilize your glass jars
If you want to preserve sauces or vegetables, it is always important to sterilize your jars beforehand to eliminate any bacteria buildup. You can boil them in hot water for a few minutes, but you can also use a microwave, which will take less time. Take your jars and add a bit of water in them. Heat the jars in the microwave for 2 to 3 minutes so the water boils. Your jars are now ready.
5. Make chips
Want a little snack?
- Take some potatoes.
- Finely slice the potatoes. Approximately 1/8 of an inch.
- Put a few of the slices on a plate.
- Cook them in the microwave for 3 minutes. Turn them before cooking them another 3 minutes. Keep an eye on them.
- Season them and enjoy!
4. Extract more juice from your lemons
You often need lemon juice for recipes but it can be difficult to extract all the juice from the fruit without wasting it. To help you extract all the juice to claim your right on it, put your lemon in the microwave for 20 seconds. Extract the juice while it’s still warm.
3. Avoid getting salmonella
Your cutting board is constantly in contact with raw meat. Here is how to avoid catching salmonella:
- Wet your cutting board.
- Add a layer of dishwashing soap.
- Place it in the microwave for a minute.
- Your cutting board is now sterilized.
2. Remove stamps effortlessly
Did you know a microwave could help you with that? All you need to do is add a bit of water on the stamp to make it humid and then put it in the microwave for 20 seconds. You can then easily remove the stamp without any rips.
1. If you only believe what your eyes can see, watch this video:
- Améliore ta santé