Every season, there are insects that infest our houses. The worst season is Summer because they usually all come at the same time, especially flies! They are constantly flying around. Like if normal flies weren’t enough, fruit flies also invade our fruit bowl. Fortunately, we can get rid of these insects with pretty nifty tricks. If you’re tired of fighting flies, here’s how to get rid of them once and for all!
7. Cloves and lemon
Flies hate the smell of cloves, and when you combine it with the smell of lemon, you’ll be sure they stay away.
- Cut the lemon into halves and stick the cloves directly into the lemons.
- Leave the lemon on your table and flies won’t bother you anymore!
6. Insect repellent
You can easily get rid of flies by using a homemade repellent. Essential oils, such as lemongrass and peppermint work great against flies since their smell is extremely strong.
- 2 tablespoons of liquid dish soap diluted in water;
- 10-12 drops of peppermint oil;
- 10-12 drops of lemongrass oil;
- 1 spray bottle;
- 1 cup of water.
- Mix the water and dish soap in a spray bottle.
- Then add 10 to 12 drops of peppermint essential oil and 10 to 12 drops of lemongrass essential oil.
- Close the spray bottle and shake well.
- Spray this around the house every two weeks.
5. Air freshener
- Lavender essential oil;
- A jar with its lid.
- Pour several drops of lavender on the sponge and leave the sponge in the jar.
- Close it firmly and leave it overnight or until the next morning to get a pungent smell.
- Then you can open it a little and put it in your house like an air freshener.
4. Unfiltered apple cider vinegar
Keep flies away from the kitchen with a bottle of apple cider vinegar.
- Remove the cap from the bottle (it should not be full).
- Cover the top with a plastic wrap and secure it with an elastic band.
- Make a hole for the fruit flies to enter. They will not be able to resist the smell of vinegar and will not be able to go out once they are inside.
3. Drown the flies
If the fruit flies are resistant to plastic wrap, try adding three drops of dish soap in a bowl of vinegar and let it uncovered. The soap helps drown to flies.
2. Paper cone to trap fruit flies
Here’s another tip for trapping fruit flies:
- Pour a little bit of vinegar and a piece of very ripe fruit in a jar.
- Roll a piece of paper into a cone and add it to the jar, with a narrow opening. The fruit flies will go in the pot, but they will not be able to leave it.
1. All you have to do is fill a Ziploc bag with water and some other household items to say: Goodbye flies!
- Pour two and a half cups of water into a mixing bowl.
- Add a generous amount of salt mixed with two to three squirts of lemon juice.
- Mix everything together.
- Pour your liquid into your Ziploc.
- Add a few pennies to the bag.
The contents of each bag have natural repellent properties against insects that will keep them away from your home. This method is sustainable because all you need is a small amount of the ingredients. Finally, take your bag filled with the mixture and hang it over your front door or the main entrance of your home. Say goodbye to flies and enjoy your summer in peace!
Thanks to these nifty tricks, we can now enjoy our summer peacefully!
- Healthy Food House
- Woman Positive
- Viral Social Blog
- Good Housekeeping